Monday 26 January 2009

Bile Duct Diary XV

2 December, 2008


I had hoped that Bile Duct Diary XIV was going to be my last communication, releasing me to get on with life, but I have had a series of complications, and been through 5 scans and blood tests to shed some light. Today, I had a review meeting with the oncologist looking at all the evidence, and the scan shows that there is more cancer located at the top of my spine. I was expecting this news because of strong back pain over the past 6 weeks, even though nothing was showing up on the scans. But still, hearing the words is a shock and I feel like I have had all the wind kicked out of me.

This means there will be a course of radiotherapy, probably starting before Christmas, but the bad news about all this is that the original cancer has metastasised. This is a bad prognosis because it means cancer cells are in the body and if they have left the original site and landed in the spine, nothing is likely to stop them from doing this again. More chemotherapy is an option for the future, if other sites appear cancerous.

So it will take some time for all of us to absorb this news, and plan a different kind of future….one that will now include living in the shadow of cancer, and fighting as best we can.

Anyway I wanted to share this with everyone, because I know how many of you are concerned for our welfare, and this is a very touching and uplifting thing, indeed. Apologies for sending this news in an impersonal way, but it seems best for the time being. More will follow whenever…..

Lots of love to you all,

David (and Jane)

No comments: